Seared Scallops with Sweet Potato 'Risotto' and Chanterelles Truffle-Haricot Verts Salad
- 4 shallots, brunoise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large sweet potatoes, brunoise (needs to be the size of risotto)
- 3 to 4 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 pounds large scallops, U-10's or bigger (10 scallops/pound)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 pound chanterelles, cleaned
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Canola oil to cook
- HARICOTS VERTS SALAD
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 pound haricot verts, blanched and shocked
- 1 bunch chives cut into batons (1-inch)
- Truffle oil to garnish
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- FUNKY SWEET POTATO GARNISH (optional)
- 1 large sweet potato, spaghetti cut using turning slicer
- 1 Peruvian purple potato, peeled and sliced
- Salt to taste
- Canola oil for frying
It is important that the sweet potato 'risotto' dice are all the same size. Traditional risotto cooking technique is used. In a 2 quart casserole, first saute the shallots in butter and season. Add the sweet potato and saute. Slowly add the hot chicken stock, one ladle at a time. Only add more stock after the previous ladle is fully absorbed. Continue adding stock until the 'risotto' gets creamy, but not mushy. The individual grains of 'risotto' should remain distinct.
Season the scallops with salt and pepper. In very hot saute pan, coat with oil and sear the scallops until brown. Flip scallops and brown other side. Total cooking time should be about 8 minutes. Wipe pan out, return to high heat, coat with canola oil, add garlic and ginger and saute until soft. Add chanterelles and season. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes.HARICOTS VERTS SALAD
Wrap the sweet potato hair around a slice of purple potato. In a 300-degree fryer, fry until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Salt to taste and drain well.
Using a ring mold or pvc pipe, fill bottom third with the hot chanterelles, then cover with 'risotto.' Place in the center of a plate. Surround with scallops and top with haricot verts salad. Garnish with truffle oil, chive batons and funky garnish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.