- 2 pounds mussels
- 2 pounds littleneck or other small clams
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow Spanish onion
- 1 small zucchini, with skin
- 1 small yellow crookneck squash, with skin
- 1 hard, smoked linguica sausage, about 6 ounces or prosciutto
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, cut from the pit and julienne
- 2 to 3 cups well-seasoned fish stock or clam juice
- 3/4 cup white port wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Wash mussels and clams under cold running water and scrub with a stiff brush. Remove mussels' beards by sharply pulling. Place shellfish in a large bowl, cover with a wet towel, and reserve in refrigerator.
Core and seed bell peppers. Cut into fine julienne, about 2 inches long. Cut onion, zucchini, and yellow squash into similar julienne. Cut sausage or prosciutto into 2-inch lengths and then into fine julienne. Combine the shellfish, julienne vegetables, sausage, tomato, olives, fish stock, port, and pepper in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover and cook over high heat until shells open, about 8 to l0 minutes. Taste before adjusting seasonings since shellfish and bottled clam juice are quite salty. Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.