Shells with Italian Sausage and Ricotta Stuffing
Sponsor recipe courtesy of Johnsonville®
Shells and cheese can be a great snack, but Johnsonville can transform it into a meal! This recipe combines all of your favorite Italian[ cheeses with the savory deliciousness of Johnsonville Italian Sausages. The result? An authentic Italian dish that will leave your stomach full and happy.]
- 1 package (16 ounces) Johnsonville Mild or Sweet Ground Sausage
- 1 box (12.5 ounces) jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jars (24 ounces, each) marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until pork is no longer pink; drain.
2. In a Dutch oven, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Using a pastry brush, coat sides and bottom of a 3-quart baking dish with oil.
6. Stuff shells with meat mixture; arrange in baking dish.
7. Pour remaining marinara sauce over shells.
8. Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
9. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
11. Sprinkle with parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.