Sherried Black Bean Soup
When I was first introduced to the Mexican author Laura Esquivel, I didn't realize who she was. After one of NTWH's performances, she told[ me she wanted to write on our behalf. "Are you a writer?" I queried. Much to my embarrassment, in her humility she simply answered "Yes." A fellow Jesuit whispered into my ear, "Dunderhead, she's the author and screenwriter of Like Water for Chocolate." We have since become great friends. She cooks for me often, and shows me the warmth and love of all of Mexico from her kitchen. This Sherried Black Bean Soup has a Mexican tang.]
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 ham hock (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- Thinly sliced green onions, crumbled crisp bacon, sour cream, sieved hard-cooked egg, and thin lemon slices, for garnish
In a large, heavy saucepan, bring the beans and 4 cups of water to a boil. Boil briskly for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour.
In a 5-quart Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook until soft but not browned. Add the ham hock, the remaining 4 cups water, parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, cloves, mustard seed, bay leaf, and beans (with their liquid). Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 3 hours.
Remove the ham hocks and let cool slightly. Remove and discard bay leaf. Place about half of the beans with about 1 cup of the liquid from the soup in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Return the puree to the soup in the Dutch oven.
Remove the ham from its bone and add the meat to the soup. (Discard fat, bones and skin.) Reheat the soup over medium heat. Stir in the sherry. Serve hot soup with choice of garnishes to sprinkle on top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.