Short Ribs with Beets
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 shallots
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup hearty red wine (such as Zinfandel)
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 beets, trimmed and scrubbed
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season the ribs with the garam masala and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in a large roasting pan and roast for 45 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F. Add the garlic, shallots, carrots, celery, wine, 3 cups of the broth, tomatoes (with juice), thyme, parsley, bay leaves, coriander, cloves, salt, and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender but not yet falling off the bone.
Cut the beets into large wedges and add to the ribs. Spoon the sauce over the beets and ribs. Add the remaining 1-cup broth if the sauce is too thick. Roast for 1 hour, or until the beets and meat are tender.
Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the ribs and beets to a serving platter.
Remove and discard the bay leaves and any sprigs in the sauce. Working in batches if necessary, place the sauce in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Pour the sauce over the ribs and beets.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.