Shotgun Willie Chili
- 6 dried New Mexico chiles
- 6 dried pasilla chiles
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 6 pounds chuck, cubed or coarse ground
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, finely diced
- Black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 16 tablespoons Texas chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon monosodium glutamate
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 14 garlic cloves, crushed- use remaining pulp
Remove stems and seeds from pepper pods and boil chile peppers in water for approximately 1 hour, until pulp separates from skin. Scrape pulp from skin, mash into a paste. Use 1 cup of this paste in recipe.
Place 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and add the oregano. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat and steep like tea. Strain, and add the strained liquid to the chili pot.
In a saute pan, brown the beef, a small batch at a time, in hot oil adding onions and black pepper to each batch. Remove meat to chili pot as it browns. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.