Shrimp and Banana
- 20 shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails on
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons shallots, brunoise (about 1 1/2 shallots)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 4 very ripe bananas (so ripe that the skins are black)
- 1 :1 low-sodium soya/water (1/2 cup of each)
- Roughly 3 tablespoons sambal
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Onion sprouts, for garnish
Sear the shrimp on one side in a skillet on medium-high heat with a little bit of vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Add the shallots and garlic. Once the shrimp are partially cooked, after about 1 minute, remove from the skillet. Next, add the bananas and break up the bananas with tongs while sauteing to essentially mash. Saute for 1 minute.
Add the water/soy mix, sambal and honey and saute another minute until heated through. Return the shrimp to the skillet and finish cooking, 2 to 3 minutes. Finish with the lime juice and cilantro, and then season again if necessary.
Spoon the banana sauce into bowls. A small concave vessel with a large bell is best. Place 5 shrimp to a bowl on top of the sauce. Garnish with onion sprouts.