Shrimp and Plantains on Skewers with Mango Mayonnaise
- 2 pounds medium size shrimp (about 36) peeled and deveined
- 1 recipe marinade, recipe follows
- Vegetable oil
- 3 large ripe yellow plantains, peeled, each cut into 12 slices
- Mango Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- Mango Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mango puree (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
Place the shrimp in a shallow dish or plastic container and pour the marinade over them. Cover and marinate for 4 to 6 hours in the refrigerator. Preheat the broiler.
Transfer the shrimp to a broiling pan and broil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until just cooked. Set aside to cool.
Heat just enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet and cook the plantain slices for 1 minute on each side or until golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
Thread 2 shrimp and 2 plantain slices onto each small skewer and serve with Mango Mayonnaise as a dipping sauce.Mango Mayonnaise:
Stir together all the ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Cover and chill until needed.
Yield: About 1 1/2 cupsMarinade:
Mix the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl.
Recipe courtesy Barbara Smith