Shrimp and Spring Vegetable Risotto
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion (white part only)
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (packed) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups ambra rice
- 4 cups Fish Broth, Clam Broth, Chicken Broth or canned chicken broth
- 3/4 pound asparagus, trimmed, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half crosswise
- 3/4 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen tiny peas, defrosted in a sieve under warm running water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion (green part only)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In microwave oven heat butter and oil in a 14 by 11 by 2-inch dish, uncovered, at 100 percent for 3 minutes. Add scallion whites, celery, parsley, and rice and stir to coat. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for 4 minutes.
Stir in broth and cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for 12 minutes. Add asparagus, shrimp, and peas and stir well. Cook, uncovered, for 12 minutes more.
Remove from oven. Stir in salt and pepper. Cover loosely with paper toweling and let stand for 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with scallion greens and cheese, and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Barbara Kafka