Shrimp, Spiced Mango, and Avocado Salad with Citrus Dressing
- Shrimp Marinade:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons Spanish-style smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 extra-large shrimp (U-12), peeled and deveined
- Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 loosely packed cups torn, soft lettuces, such as red oak and lolla rossa
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the marinade: Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl. Reserve 2 teaspoons of the marinade. Add the shrimp to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 6.
Make the salad: Remove the shrimp from the marinade; scrape off any excess marinade from the shrimp.
Season the shrimp, to taste, with salt. Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat.
In a bowl, toss together the onion, mango and avocado. Dress lightly with some of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a another bowl, lightly toss the lettuce with some of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
Mound the salad in the center of a platter and surround with the shrimp. Spoon some of the dressing over the shrimp and serve. (Reserve remaining vinaigrette for another use.)
Recipe courtesy of Alfred Portale, Gotham Bar and Grill, NYC
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann