- 4 cups (about 1/2 of a 12-ounce bag) dry coleslaw mix
- 4 ounces cooked and chopped ready-to-eat shrimp
- 1/2 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, drained and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced widthwise
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium or lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 6 large square egg roll wrappers*
- Sweet and sour sauce, for optional dipping
*Can be found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket with the other Asian items.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Put slaw mix in a large microwave-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain any excess water from the bowl. Add all of the other ingredients except the wrappers and optional sauce, mix well, and set aside. For a more intense flavor, allow the mixture to marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it lightly with nonstick spray. Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean, dry surface. Evenly distribute about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the wrapper, in a row a little below the center. Moisten all four edges by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the sides of each wrapper about 3/4 inch towards the middle, to keep the mixture from falling out of the sides. Then, roll the bottom of each wrapper up around the mixture, and continue rolling until you reach the top. Seal the outside edge with another dab of water. Carefully transfer egg roll to the baking sheet.
Repeat the process with the remaining wrappers and filling, making sure you have a clean, dry surface each time.
Spray the tops of the egg rolls with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly. If you like, dip the egg rolls in some sweet and sour sauce!
PER SERVING (1/3rd of recipe, 2 egg rolls): 198 calories, 1g fat, 759mg sodium, 33g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 4g sugars, 14g protein