- 1 pound veal neck, cut into cubes
- 1 pound beef shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, sliced and caramelized
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 4 ounces white Pullman loaf, crust removed and soaked in 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 80 Wonton Wrappers
- Ingredients per serving:
- 3/4 cup very thinly sliced mushrooms (shittake, cremini, enoki, or porcini), cooked
- 3 tablespoons cooked or pickled beets, small dice
- 18 mint leaves, coarsely chopped or torn by hand
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 quarts beef or chicken consomme/bouillion, hot
In a large bowl, combine meat cubes, onion, dill, soaked bread, egg, salt and pepper. Let sit for 2 hours in refrigerator for flavors to combine.
Grind mixture through a meat grinder 2 times using a medium die. Mixture should be finely pureed and sticky. Cut rounds out of wonton wrapper. Fill each wrapper with 1/2 teaspoon of mixture. Fold over and make tortellini shape. Fold sides over. Place in large saucepan with boiling water and boil for about 3 minutes.
Serve in deep-dish plates. Divide mushroom slices, beet dice, mint leaves, and dill into between 8 dishes. Add 10 pelmini and pour over consomme.