- 1 pkg. Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage links, decased
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 loaf crusty, Italian style bread, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 med. tomatoes, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk (or 2% milk)
- 2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
In a 12" skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute mushrooms for 4 minutes and add the bell peppers and onions and continue sauteing for another 2- 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a plate and set aside.
In the same skillet cook the decased links on medium heat and crumble as it cooks, about 8 minutes. When the sausage is fully cooked, toss the veggies back into the skillet, stir to combine and remove from heat.
In a lightly oiled 10 x 15 x 2" baking dish, arrange slices of bread to cover the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with half the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and half the tomatoes. Layer additional bread slices on top to cover and top with the remaining sausage mixture and tomatoes.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to a day. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake until the center of the strata is set and top is lightly browned 50-60 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes then cut into squares and serve.
(Allowing the strata to sit at room temperature about 30-45 minutes prior to baking will slightly decrease the cooking time.)