- 2 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional for salting water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 4 scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
Heat the milk and butter in a small small saucepan until hot. With a potato masher or large fork, roughly smash the potatoes, while adding the hot liquid. Stir in half of the scallions, season with the salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and scatter the remaining scallions on top before serving.