Smoked Corn and Crab Chowder with Mount Gay Rum
- 12 Jonah crabs
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 gallon half-and-half
- 2 cups hickory smoked corn (from 6 ears corn)
- 1 -ounce sherry pepper sauce (recommended: Outerbridges Sherry Pepper Sauce)
- 1 -ounce rum (recommend: Mount Gay)
- Paprika, for garnish
Fill a large stockpot with 1 gallon water. Bring water to a boil, add the crabs, and cook until tender and cooked through. Remove crabs when done and set aside to cool. Over high heat, reduce the cooking liquid until 1 quart remains to make crab stock. When crabs are cool enough, pick the crabmeat and reserve (should yield about 1 pound of meat).
Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until al dente. Drain and then place potatoes in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Melt the butter over medium-low heat in the same saucepan. Add onion, celery, red and green peppers, and saute until tender. Add flour and continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add crab stock, potatoes, half-and-half, smoked corn, sherry pepper sauce, rum, and crabmeat, and cook until all heated through. Garnish with paprika.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.