This interestingly flavored ceviche combines silky smoked mussels with crunchy vegetables whose sweetness sets off a flavor explosion in your mouth. It's also great for anyone squemish about eating raw fish since the mussels are fully cooked.
- 3 medium golden beets
- 1 medium jicima, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced finely
- 2 to 3 jalepeno chilies, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- 12 ounces smoked mussels
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, washed, fried and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 10 crispy flat corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded, mashed
In a 350 degree oven, roast beets until cooked through, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, rub skins off and dice into 1/2-inch squares. Place beets, jicima, onion, chilies, and mussels in a bowl with the olive oil, cilantro, juices, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate a few hours to blend flavors. Divide ceviche evenly on tostadas and garnish with a dollop of mashed avocado on each. Serve immediately.