Smoked Onion Recipe
- 5 cups hickory wood chips (or chips of your choice)
- 5 medium onions, or 4 cups smoked onions
- 4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Soak the hickory chips in water for 30 minutes, and then drain. Place the soaked chips in a stovetop smoker or outdoor smoker over medium-high heat. Peel and quarter the onions and place in a perforated pan. Cover with tin foil, poke a few holes in it, place in the smoker, and smoke for 1 hour. Your onions should be soft and have a nice brown color. Tasting the onions for smoke flavor is the best way to check for doneness, not all smokers are the same. When the onions are smoked, transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Cool. Combine with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and taste for salt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.