Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Squares
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices pumpernickel cocktail bread
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Halve cucumber crosswise and thinly julienne lengthwise, preferably with a mandoline or other manual slicer, working around core. Discard core.
Divide bread into 4 stacks and cut stacks into 1 1/2-inch squares with a serrated knife, discarding crusts. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon sour cream onto center of each bread square, then top with a folded piece of salmon.
Top salmon with a small amount of cucumber, twirled into a mound.
Cooks' notes: Cucumber can be julienned 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered. Bread can be topped with cream and salmon 6 hours ahead and chilled, covered with dampened paper towels and plastic wrap. Top with cucumber just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller