Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
In the old days, I would go out to the buffets and eat my weight in smoked salmon! I especially liked it served traditionally, with capers[, cream cheese and onions. The only problem was that the capers and onions always fell off the fork when I tried to eat it all together. This recipe combines all my favorite ingredients in an easy-to-make and easy-to-serve party appetizer!]
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 ounces sliced smoked salmon (we recommend Nova, but you make use the saltier lox)
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- 1 seedless cucumber, with peel, sliced into rounds the size of crackers
Combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, red onion, and basil in a bowl until completely blended.
On a piece of waxed paper, arrange the smoked salmon slices in a rectangle about 3 inches wide and 12 inches long, slightly overlapping each piece. (If the salmon slices are cut irregularly, simply piece them together like a puzzle.)
Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on the salmon, sprinkle with the capers, and roll up like a jellyroll.
Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm, then cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place each pinwheel atop a cucumber round to serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.