- 6 very thin slices white sandwich bread w/ crusts removed
- 4 ounces caper butter (see recipe below)
- 1/4 lb smoked trout
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced in thin circles.
- 12 small caper berries
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place bread on baking sheet and toast slightly for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Spread each slice of bread with caper butter. Cover with layer of smoked trout. Cut into squares or circles (using cookie cutter) and on each canape place a thin slice of cucumber and a sprig of dill.
- 4 Tbs. sweet butter, room temperature
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. capers, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
Combine everything in a medium bowl and mix well with fork. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.