Smokey White Bean Spread with Roasted Garlic and Basil
- Four 15 1/2 ounce cans white beans, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup bean liquid
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid hickory smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage, optional
In a food processor, combine the beans, chopped onion, 2/3 cup bean liquid, garlic, lemon juice, salt, smoke flavoring and pepper. Process until smooth, stopping several times to scrape down the sides of the work bowl and adding additional bean liquid if the mixture seems too thick. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the basil and sage. Adjust the seasoning. The spread can be used immediately or covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Return it to room temperature before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.