Sofrito: a Base for Many Dishes
- 1 strip of bacon, whole (smoked if available)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon minced habanero or Scotch bonnet
- 1/4 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- Pinch saffron
- 6 to 8 ounces dry Spanish sherry
- 1/2 cup cream, if desired
In a sauce pot set on medium, cook the bacon in the olive oil for 30 seconds. Add red and yellow peppers, onions, and garlic, and saute until soft. Add the habanero, jalapeno, and saffron, cook for 1 minute. Add the sherry and cream if desired. Reduce by 1/4, cool and puree in a blender.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.