Somen Noodle Sushi with Wasabi Oil and Soy Syrup
- 1/2 pound somen noodles, blanched, refreshed
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, green part only (save a little for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wasabi oil
- 1/4 cup gari, julienne (pickled ginger, save a little for garnish)
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded, julienne
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, julienne
- 4 sheets nori
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Wasabi Oil:
- 1/2 cup wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Soy Syrup:
- 2 cups thin soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
In a large mixing bowl combine first 6 ingredients. Check for seasoning. Using a sushi mat, place one sheet of nori, shiny side down. Lay down a thin layer of noodle mix on the bottom third of the nori. Arrange cucumber and peppers on the noodles and roll tightly. Moisten the top edge of the nori to ?glue? the roll.
Plating: Slice sushi with straight cuts and some on the bias. Drizzle soy syrup and wasabi oil on a large, white plate. Garnish with gari, sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
Wine Recommendation: Domaine Tempier, Rose, Bandol, 1998Wasabi Oil:
In a stainless steel bowl, whisk wasabi, mirin, and sugar. Add water until a loose puree is achieved. Whisk in oil. For extra spicy, use less oil.Soy Syrup:
Combine all and reduce at a simmer until a syrup consistency is achieved, about a 70 percent reduction. Let cool.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.