Sopa de Tortilla a la Mexicana: Tortilla Soup, Mexican Style
- 2 chiles pasillas, washed, seeded, deveined plus 2 long chiles pasillas, all fried in a little oil
- 2 chiles anchos, washed, seeded, deveined and fried in a little oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil or corn oil
- 2 sprigs epazote or cilantro
- 6 quarts chicken broth
- For the garnish:
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 24 tortillas, sliced in thin strips and dried for 1 day
- 8 chiles pasillas, fried in a little oil or lard
- 2 avocados, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cheese, such as panela or feta, finely crumbled
- 1 cup creme fraiche, or 1 cup sour cream mixed with 1/4 half-and-half
In a blender or food processor, blend chiles pasillas and anchos with tomatoes, onion and garlic. Strain. Heat oil in a stock pot. Pour blended chile mixture into a pot and fry until it thickens and fat rises to the surface. Add epazote. Mix in the boiling broth and long chiles pasillas. Salt to taste and simmer for 25 minutes.
To serve, pour soup into a tureen. Divide tortillas strips among individual bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla strips. Serve chiles, avocado, cheese and creme fraiche in separate bowls, allowing diners to season soup, to taste.For the garnish:
Prepare the garnish: Heat oil in a frying pan and fry tortilla strips until crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.