- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Whole peppercorns
- 1/4 onion, whole
- 1 boneless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups chorizo
- One packet Sopes***
- 2 cups refried beans, recipe follows
- 1 onion chopped small
- 2 bunches cilantro chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Crema Fresca Mexicana (Mexican table cream)
- 1 1/2 cups queso fresco (fresh cheese)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes cubed
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- Green salsa
- Red salsa
- ***Sopes are specially made thick tortillas with raised edges. They are about 3 inches in diameter and are available at specialty Latin American Markets
- REFRIED BEANS
- 2 cups pinto beans
- Water, to cover
- 1 small onion cut in large wedges
- "Epazote" or Mexican oregano
- ham bone
For the boiled chicken: To a saucepan, add enough water to cover the chicken, a clove of garlic, bay leaf, a couple peppercorns and 1/4 of an onion and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and boil for about 20 minutes. Remove from the water and slice.
For the Chorizo: To a hot saute pan, add the chorizo and saute until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Fry the Sopes in plenty of canola oil. Drain and bring to the table. Each ingredient should be on the table in a separate serving dish. Each person constructs their own sope to taste. Please note: the beans should always be at the bottom of the sope because they serve as a binder.
This is a layered dish, do not mix all the ingredients. Usual serving -- 2 sopes per person. The sopes are eaten with your hands, no need for utensils.REFRIED BEANS
In a low heat slow cooker combine beans, water, onion, epazote (or Mexican oregano) and ham bone. Cook until the beans are soft, add salt to taste. Put beans in a skillet and mash with potato masher. Option: You may substitute the home made beans with 2 cans of refried beans.
The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.