Sorrel, Pea and Leek Soup
- 6 leeks, (about 1 1/2 pounds total, white and pale green parts only)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small boiling potatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups boiling water, plus additional to thin soup
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas (about 1 pound in pods) or thawed frozen peas
- 1/2 pound sorrel
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Chopped hard-boiled egg, for garnish
- Thin strips sorrel, for garnish
Chop leeks and in a bowl of cold water wash leeks well. Lift leeks from water into a colander to drain. In a large saucepan cook leeks in oil with salt and pepper, to taste, over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Add potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water to leeks and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes, or until potato is tender. Stir in peas and simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes, or until peas are tender.
While potato mixture is simmering, discard sorrel stems. Cut leaves crosswise into thin strips (about 6 cups loosely packed). In a blender puree potato mixture with sorrel in 4 batches until very smooth, transferring to a bowl. Whisk in yogurt and 1 cup water, adding enough water to thin soup to desired consistency.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine