- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken base paste
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 gallon 2-percent milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf white bread, sliced
- Home Fries, recipe follows
- Fruit, for serving
- Home Fries:
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 white onions, diced
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat and set aside.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, being careful not to burn it. Slowly whisk in the flour to make a roux. You are looking for a thick consistency. Add the chicken base, seasoned salt and garlic. Slowly whisk in the milk. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes and then lower the heat to medium, whisking periodically until the mixture gets thick. Whisk in the black pepper and browned beef.
Toast the white bread and put the slices on serving plates. Ladle the SOS over the top of the toast. Serve with home fries and a piece of fruit.Home Fries:
From Food Network Kitchen: This recipe has been updated and may differ from what was originally published or broadcasted.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Phil Martinez, owner Paul's Coffee Shop in Fountain Valley, CA