- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups shredded jack or Cheddar (one 8-ounce bag)
- Dipping Sauces:
- 1 bottle prepared BBQ sauce
- One 15-ounce can sliced peaches, drained, syrup reserved, peaches saved for other use
- One 15-ounce can pineapple chunks, syrup reserved, pineapples saved for other use
For the rolls: Unwrap the spring rolls and place on a cutting board. Cover your spring roll wrappers with a slightly damp towel to keep them from drying out.
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey with the seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic and onions.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons sunflower oil. Add the turkey mixture and saute until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat with a spoon as it cooks. Remove from the heat and let cool before assembling the rolls.
Spread out one spring roll wrapper. In the center of the wrapper, with an inch or two of space around each side, layer some shredded cabbage, a few tablespoons turkey mixture and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Fold the wrapper sides in and wrap tightly. Repeat with the remaining mixture and wrappers.
Fill a deep, heavy skillet or fry pan just under halfway with sunflower oil. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
Carefully drop in 2 to 4 rolls, depending on the size of the skillet. Let the rolls cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain the rolls on a paper towel-lined plate.
For the dipping sauces: In a small bowl, mix half the BBQ sauce with 3 tablespoons peach syrup. In another small bowl, mix the remaining BBQ sauce with 3 tablespoons pineapple syrup.
Serve the rolls with the dipping sauces.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.