Sous Vide Escolar with Salsify Puree, Marble Potato, Heirloom Tomato and Fennel
- Salsify Puree:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 salsify roots, peeled and diced, stored in water with juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 potato, peeled and diced, stored in water with juice of1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Sous Vide Escolar:
- 2 fillets escolar, cut into 6-ounce, 1-inch-thick portions
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh tarragon
- 2 cups marble potatoes, blanched and halved
- 2 cups heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shaved fennel, lightly blanched
- Shaved white truffles, optional
- Special equipment: Sous-vide machine and vacuum sealer, optional
For the salsify puree: Combine the cream, wine, salt, pepper, salsify, onions and potatoes in a saucepot. Wrap the thyme tightly in cheesecloth and add. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the mixture is reduced by one-third and the vegetables are tender, 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Carefully remove the thyme pouch and discard. Puree the mixture until smooth using an immersion blender. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if needed.
For the escolar: Meanwhile, if using the sous vide, heat water to 140 degrees F. Drizzle each portion of fish with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top each piece with 3 to 4 fresh tarragon leaves and place the fish into individual bags and vacuum seal. Cook the escolar pouches for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the bags and pat dry. Saute the fish in olive oil over high heat just long enough to lightly brown the outside.
To assemble, place a small pool of salsify puree in the center of a plate. Spoon a small pile of the vegetable mixture into the center of the puree. Rest the escolar atop the vegetables. Top with shaved truffles if available.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.