- *Mincemeat for pie needs to be made at least one month in advance
- 1/2 pound beef suet, chopped
- 3/4 pound raisins
- 1/2 pound sultanas (golden raisins)
- 3/4 pound Granny Smith apples, chopped
- 3/4 pound currants
- 3/4 pound brown sugar
- 1/4 pound blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/2 pound combined lemon and orange peel, chopped
- 2 lemons, grated and juiced
- Pulp of 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5/8 cup brandy
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cups whipped heavy cream
- 1/4 cups whole, hulled strawberries
- Black pepper, to garnish
Mincemeat: Make at least one month ahead. Mix together first 15 ingredients. Pack in sterile canning jars, pour in brandy, and seal according to jar manufacturer's instructions.
Pastry: Place flour in medium bowl. Make well in center of flour and add butter, 1 egg yolk, sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons of the water to the well. With fingertips, mix only these "well" ingredients together, then begin to work in the surrounding flour, adding ice water as needed. Once combined, knead several times and place pastry on a plate. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut pastry in half. Roll 1 half to fit a 10-inch pie pan. Prick all over with a fork. Cut parchment paper to fit inside pastry shell. Cover parchment evenly with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights. Allow pastry to cool.
Meanwhile, roll out the other pastry half so it is big enough to cover the pie. Fill the cooled pastry crust with mincemeat. Cover with unbaked pastry, crimp edges, glaze with the remaining egg yolk, and poke hole in center. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Remove pie from oven and cool. Before serving, cover with whipped cream and then strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with black pepper to enhance their sweetness.