Southern-Fried Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup dry chicken-flavored stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 4 large boned chicken breast halves with skin
- 4 ready-to-serve bacon slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Canola oil
- Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy, recipe follows
- Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy:
- 1 large Vidalia onion, halved vertically
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Non-stick aluminum foil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- Black pepper
Stir together first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Spread 1/4 of cream cheese mixture on skinless side of each chicken breast half; top with 1 piece of bacon. Roll up chicken, jellyroll fashion, lifting skin and tucking roll under skin.
Pour oil to depth of 2 inches in a large skillet; heat to 350 degrees F. Fry chicken rolls, in batches, 10 to 12 minutes or until dark brown and done, turning chicken rolls often. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.
Spoon 1/4 cup Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy on each of 4 individual serving plates; top with 1 chicken roll. Drizzle with remaining gravy.
"The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. They have been tested in the Southern Living Test Kitchens. All brand names have been removed from these recipes, which originally appeared on southernlivingcookoff.com."Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy:
Dice 1 onion half; set aside.
Cut remaining onion half into slices. Place onion slices and bell pepper, cut sides down, on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil; drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
Broil onion slices and bell pepper halves 5 inches from heat about 10 minutes or until bell pepper looks blistered. Place bell pepper halves in a zip-top freezer bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skin. Peel bell pepper halves, and dice 1 half. Reserve diced bell pepper and remaining half. Dice roasted onion, and set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved diced raw onion, and saute 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until flour mixture is caramel-colored. Stir in chicken broth and Creole seasoning. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Combine gravy mixture, reserved diced roasted bell pepper, diced roasted onion, basil, and black pepper.
Yield: 3 cups
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Recipe courtesy Susan Rotter, Nolensville, Tennessee
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali