Southern Pimento Cheese Burgers
- Pimento Cheese:
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar, room temperature
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey jack, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces jarred diced pimento peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon bread and butter pickle juice
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Honey Slaw:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cabbage
- 8 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck
- 1/4 pound cured and smoked country ham, finely chopped (or chopped in a food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 potato hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup crushed kettle-cooked plain potato chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
To prepare Honey Slaw, in a small mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, honey, and cabbage; mix until well combined.
Heat a 12-inch nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Drain on paper towels. Pour off almost all of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving a very thin layer.
To make the patties, combine the beef, country ham, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties to fit the buns.
Using the same grill pan as before, cook the hamburgers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until cooked medium rare.
Meanwhile, place buns on a rack in the oven. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes. Also, place the plates that the burgers will be served on in the oven to heat.
To assemble the burgers, spread a generous amount of Pimento Cheese on the cut sides of the buns. On each bun bottom (on top of the Pimento Cheese), place a thin layer of Honey Slaw. Top the slaw with a burger patty, 2 slices of bacon, and crushed potato chips. Add the bun tops. Place the completed hamburgers on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 minute. Serve burgers on warm plates.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.