- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 5 pounds lean ground beef
- 12 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup dark chili powder, divided
- 1/8 cup ground chili pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/8 cup paprika, divided
- 1/4 tablespoon sugar, divided
For Southside Chili:
In a large pot over medium-high heat and the oil. When the oil is hot add the beef and cook until brown. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, garlic and half of the spices. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 2 hours, stirring often. Add the remaining half of the spices and cook, covered, for 1 more hour. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Mark Amspacher, owner of The Diner in Norman, OK.