Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Salsa, Fresh Cilantro, and Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons salsa, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green onions
- 3/4 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons bacon chipotle sauce (recommended: Bob's Bacon Chipotle Sauce)
- Tortilla Chip Breading:
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Store bought salsa
- Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- Lime twists, for garnish
Coat pan with 2 teaspoons peanut oil.
Combine beans, salsa, green onions, peppers, cilantro, bread crumbs, garlic, and chipotle sauce in a large bowl and mix well, mashing up the beans. Form 12 small patties (about the diameter of a silver dollar and 3/4 to 1-inch thick) and roll in tortilla breading.
Heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties, in batches as necessary, until golden brown and heated through.
Serve on bed of salsa or cover with salsa and fresh cilantro. Add a small dollop of Peppered Lime Mayonnaise on top and garnish with a twist on lime.Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh key lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.