Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Salsa, Fresh Cilantro, and Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons salsa, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green onions
- 3/4 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons bacon chipotle sauce (recommended: Bob's Bacon Chipotle Sauce)
- Tortilla Chip Breading:
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Store bought salsa
- Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- Lime twists, for garnish
Coat pan with 2 teaspoons peanut oil.
Combine beans, salsa, green onions, peppers, cilantro, bread crumbs, garlic, and chipotle sauce in a large bowl and mix well, mashing up the beans. Form 12 small patties (about the diameter of a silver dollar and 3/4 to 1-inch thick) and roll in tortilla breading.
Heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties, in batches as necessary, until golden brown and heated through.
Serve on bed of salsa or cover with salsa and fresh cilantro. Add a small dollop of Peppered Lime Mayonnaise on top and garnish with a twist on lime.Key Lime Peppered Mayonnaise:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh key lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
Salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Russell Gwatney and Rick Dalton