- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced (3 large cloves) garlic
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (recommend getting tube)
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, ground coarse
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 -ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 (19-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Rice, as an accompaniment
- Toppings: Tortilla chips; sour cream; grated cheddar; chopped red onions; chopped jalapenos; diced avocado; minced cilantro; etc.
In a casserole cook the onions, peppers and garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of the broth, the vinegar and chocolate and bring the mixture to a boil, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Simmer the chili, covered, for 1 hour, adding additional broth, if necessary. Add the kidney beans and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and serve with rice and desired toppings.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Southwestern Turkey Chili and Cornbread, Southwestern-Style Buffalo Chili with Cactus Paddle Salad with Oranges, Peaches and Pecans, Meaty, Meat-less Chili, Chicken Chili Recipes, Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes, Colby, Chocolate Fudge Recipes, Grilled Cheese, Chocolate Pie Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.