- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced (3 large cloves) garlic
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (recommend getting tube)
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, ground coarse
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 -ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 (19-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Rice, as an accompaniment
- Toppings: Tortilla chips; sour cream; grated cheddar; chopped red onions; chopped jalapenos; diced avocado; minced cilantro; etc.
In a casserole cook the onions, peppers and garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of the broth, the vinegar and chocolate and bring the mixture to a boil, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Simmer the chili, covered, for 1 hour, adding additional broth, if necessary. Add the kidney beans and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and serve with rice and desired toppings.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.