Spanish Rabbit Stew
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large rabbit, cut into 6-8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons slivered garlic
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Butter to thicken sauce
- Toasted sliced almonds for garnish
Season the rabbit with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining bacon fat and sear the rabbit pieces until golden on all sides, turning often, about 5-6 minutes. Lift out the rabbit pieces and reserve. Add the onion to the pan and saute until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, almonds, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and salt, and cook until the aromas are released, about 1 minute. Add the wine and reduce by half.
Carefully lift out the rabbit pieces and transfer to a serving platter. Add the sherry to the sauce along with enough butter to thicken the sauce, whisking until the butter is incorporated. Pour the sauce over the warm rabbit pieces and garnish with toasted sliced almonds.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.