Spanish Spicy Chicken and Potato Rellenos
- In Puerto Rico, potato fritters with picadillo, or minced hamburger meat as a filling, are sold everywhere, as a fast food item. This is my "healthier" version:
- Potato balls:
- 2 lbs. peeled potatoes, cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- Chicken Filling:
- 3 chicken breasts, boiled in water till cooked; forked into small pieces
- 1/2 c. minced ( onions, various colored bell peppers)
- 1/2 pepperoncillo (Italian pepper), minced
- 1/2 packet sazon (look in Hispanic section of grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon adobo (look in Hispanic section of grocery store)
- 2 drops habanero sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Boil potatoes in water, they should be on the firm side. Drain, mash with butter. Set aside while you make the chicken filling. Combine all filling ingredients, except oil and tomato sauce. Saute mixture in the oil, then add the tomato sauce. Cool.
Form potato mixture into 4-inch diameter balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each ball, fill with chicken mixture; reform balls.
Coat each ball with egg, then coat with flour. Fry in canola oil until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Ivette Baquero of Sanford, FL, for FoodTV.com's Couch Potato Cook-Off