Speckled Quinoa and Orzo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups orzo
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into fine dice
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of basil
Heat olive oil in a medium size saucepan. Add quinoa and orzo and cook, stirring constantly, until quinoa turns golden, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and continue to saute for 20 seconds until you smell their aroma. Add chicken broth, bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes or until barely done. There should be a little liquid that has been absorbed by the grains and pasta and which will help the cheese turn creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in basil and remove from heat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.