Spice Islands Salad with Sambal Dressing
- 2 cups (cut 1-inch) green beans
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 4 (4-ounce) suchi/basa fillets (catfish) or any firm white fish will do
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 6 cups spring salad greens mix, loosely packed
- 1 cup halved and sliced cucumber
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup sambal kacang sauce, recipe follows
- Sambal kacang:
- 1 cup raw shelled peanuts
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 to 4 serrano chiles, chopped (or any fresh, hot chile pepper)
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamarind juice
DirectionsTo make the Salad:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the green beans, cauliflower and carrots and blanch for 2 minutes. Do not boil them into submission! Drain and set aside.
Salt and pepper the fish and pan-fry in a little olive oil and lime juice, over medium heat, until just cooked through and flaky.
Add the peanuts, garlic, chiles*, ginger and coconut milk to a blender and process into a coarse paste. *Cook's Note: hot, medium or mild, depending on which chile pepper and how many you choose to use.
Put the blended ingredients and the kaffir lime leaf in a medium saucepan with the soy sauce and tamarind juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove the lime leaf and set aside.
Arrange the spring greens on each plate, surrounded by julienned cucumber and hard-boiled egg. Divide the cooked vegetables and sprouts on the greens, and top each plate with a fish fillet. Artistically drizzle sambal kacang over all, and serve.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.