Spice Paste for Steak:
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds, cracked in mortar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 6 ounce beef tenderloin steaks
Combine all ingredients but steak in small bowl. Rub mixture over both sides of steaks. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Prepare barbecue or preheat broiler. Grill or broil steak to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.