Spiced Cracked Wheat and Lentils for Grown-Ups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon each ground ginger and minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric, paprika, ground coriander and cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup each of cracked wheat and red lentils
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- Plain yogurt and 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat oil and butter in a large sauce pan. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, paprika, coriander, cinnamon and cumin and saute for a couple of minutes. Add cracked wheat and lentils and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to coat with oil. Add water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover; cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until wheat and lentils are tender (if water is evaporating too quickly, add more). Adjust seasoning. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl and garnish with tomatoes, and jalapenos. Center some yogurt in middle of the dish and garnish with cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.