- 1 pound beef, cut into thin strips about 2 inches long by 1 inch wide
- 2 large Japanese cucumbers, peeled, halved and sliced into thin crescents
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced lemon grass
- 1 1/2 tablespoons roasted rice powder, optional
- 5 cloves very fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 to 3 Thai chiles, or serranos, thinly sliced with seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 head romaine, inner leaves only
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally
Prepare grill and cook beef strips 4 to 6 minutes for medium rare, or to desired doneness, turning once. (Or simply use leftover grilled steak, cut into thin strips.) Place in a large bowl and toss with cucumber slices.
In another bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well. Add to beef and cucumbers and toss to coat. Arrange romaine leaves on a serving platter and spoon beef salad on top. Sprinkle green onions over the salad and serve room temperature or cold.