Spicy Braised Greens
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound turkey bacon, diced
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound collard, mustard, or beet green leaves, or a combination
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
- Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Heat a large, 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil to the pan, and when hot, add the bacon in the pan and cook, stirring often, until the bacon is well browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the greens to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Add the water and salt and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the greens are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid, and raise the heat to medium-high, and continue to cook until most of the liquid has reduced, about 5 minutes. Taste and re-season the greens, if necessary.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
More Recipes and Ideas:
Garlic-Braised Dandelion Greens with White Bean Puree and Crispy Pancetta, Cool 'n' Spicy Green Tomato Soup with Crab and Country Ham, Spicy Pumpkin and Collards, Applesauce Recipes, Stuffing Recipes, Spaghetti Squash Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Broccoli Side Dish Recipes, Mashed Potato Recipes