Spicy Fried Chicken Cutlets
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot sauce, plus additional, for serving
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs (from 6 slices firm white sandwich bread,crusts on)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
Whisk together buttermilk, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish, then add chicken, turning to coat, and let stand 15 minutes.
Place flour in a shallow dish.Stir together bread crumbs, cayenne, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in another shallow dish. Remove chicken from buttermilk 1 piece at a time, dredge in flour, dip back into the buttermilk, letting excess drip off, then dredge in bread crumbs, pressing gently to help them adhere. Transfer chicken as coated to a sheet of waxed paper.
Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking (about 360 degrees F), then fry chicken 2 pieces at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and serve with hot sauce on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay