- 1 small (1 pound) jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4 by 1-inch matchsticks
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red apple, cored and cut into 1/4 by 1-inch matchsticks
- 3 tangerines, peel and pith removed, cut into segments and halved
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1/2 small arbol chile, stemmed, seeded, and ground to a powder
- 6 pale inner leaves of romaine lettuce, for serving
In a large nonreactive bowl, combine the jicama with the orange, lime, ad grapefruit juices, and the salt. Toss to mix and let sit, covered at room temperature for 1 hour.
About 15 minutes before serving, add the olive oil, apple, tangerines and cilantro to the bowl and toss thoroughly. Toss the mixture every few minutes until serving time. Season with the ground chile, taste for seasoning and toss again before serving. Scoop some salad into each lettuce and serve.