Spicy Orange-Glazed Scallops
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots
- 1 large or 2 medium oranges, zested
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 habanero peppers, cut into quarters, stems and veins removed
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 9 large sea scallops rinsed and dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives and orange slices, for garnish
Cook shallots and zest in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Add orange juice, broth, wine and habanero slices. Cook over high heat to reduce. Taste often and remove and discard habaneros when desired heat is achieved. When habaneros are removed, add the liqueur.
Brush scallops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear scallops on a grill pan to a slightly under-cooked state, about 3 1/2 minutes per side but watch them closely. Remove from grill pan and add scallops to the thickened orange glaze, tossing to coat well until scallops are cooked to desired doneness.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Jim Fox
Recipe courtesy of Brianna Jenkins