Spicy Sausage, Chicken and Bean Pot
This one-pot meal is a wink and a nudge to cassoulet -- in 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian hot sausage
- 3/4 pound, 1 package, andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch lengths on an angle
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white cannellini beans
- 5 to 6 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 loaf baguette
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- A handful fresh parsley sprigs, left whole
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, left whole
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Crumble the Italian sausage into large pieces, add to Dutch oven and begin to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the andouille and crisp at edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove browned sausages to a paper towel lined plate and add chicken, season with salt and pepper. Lightly brown chicken a couple of minutes on each side then add veggies and bay leaf, add more salt and pepper and cook 7 to 8 minutes more to soften veggies. Add sausages back to the pan along with the beans and sage. Deglaze with wine and stir in the stock.
Turn broiler on and set rack in the middle of the oven.
Coarsely chop the bread in food processor into large crumbs, remove blade and toss with melted butter (it melts in 15 seconds in microwave) and the parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the sausage and chicken with bread and set in oven to brown 2 to 3 minutes. Serve directly from the pot. Keep an eye out for that bay leaf and sprigs!
Thank you! your flag was submitted.