Spicy Yogurt Dip with Vegetables
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 fresh jalapeno chilies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Potato chips
- Assorted raw vegetables, such as: cherry tomatoes, trimmed radishes, cucumber spears, celery sticks
In a cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a bowl, drain yogurt, chilled, for 1 hour. Discard liquid. Wearing rubber gloves, seed and devein jalapenos, reserving 1/4 teaspoon seeds. Cut chilies into pieces and in a blender puree with reserved chile seeds, coriander, fennel, and cumin seeds, and water until smooth.
In skillet heat olive oil and cook chile puree, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes, and cool completely.
In a bowl stir together mint, parsley, and peanuts yogurt, chili puree, lime zest and lime juice. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper, to taste. Dip may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Serve with chips and vegetables.