Spinach and Beef Salad
- 8 ounces sirloin or filet mignon steak, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces shiitake or similar wild mushroom, trimmed, wiped clean and sliced*
- 12 ounces fresh spinach leaves, trimmed, rinsed, and patted dry
- For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Minced fresh herbs, such as dill, chives, basil, or a combination
- *White cultivated mushrooms may be substituted and do not need to be cooked.
In a bowl combine the steak, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and pepper. Let marinate 15 minutes. Warm a nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until it is hot. Add the steak, marinade, and salt, and cook, stirring, just until the meat is no longer pink (be careful not to overcook). With a slotted spoon transfer the steak to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the skillet and warm it over moderately high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
For the dressing: In a bowl whisk together the vinegar, mustard, lemon pepper, and salt to taste. Add the oil, in a stream, whisking until combined well. Whisk in the herbs. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Serve with grilled or toasted bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.