- 2 bunches (10 oz.) spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) pancetta or bacon
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh California grapes
- 1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
Place spinach in large bowl, set aside. In small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside. In large saute pan, cook pancetta over medium-high heat until almost crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Do not drain fat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Add grapes and red onions; continue to cook for 1 minute. Add balsamic dressing and bring to a boil, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat and pour hot dressing over spinach. Toss quickly to coat leaves. Salad should be barely warm. Sprinkle with parmesan shavings and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 294; Protein 8 g; Fat 26 g; Calories from Fat 76%; Carbohydrates 10 g; Cholesterol 19 mg; Fiber 2 g; Sodium 430 mg.